Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Our Renewal of Vows - the Ceremony and the Resort

Part 5
Text by Jaime Valdes-Riench

So it has been 2 weeks and I can’t believe how time has flown by! The trip was a whirlwind to get there and back, but at least once we checked in, time stood still.  I am so happy we chose Now Amber in Puerto Vallarta.  It was a gorgeous resort and the staff where wonderful!

I would love to give one last post about our renewal of vows and what happened at the resort and on the day.

We arrived on the Tuesday and the Wednesday I mixed a little work and the wedding prep.  We had a thorough tour of the facilities, the resort, and went over all the wedding details with Karen the on site wedding coordinator.  Because we planned the wedding the next day of arriving we had to meet with her the same day as the wedding.  Most couples would wait one more day, but considering it was only us, and a non-legal ceremony, really it was easy enough to do it the same day.  I don’t however recommend that for larger weddings.  It would be far too rushed.

The wedding planner Karen was wonderful! I also had spoken prior with the head of the wedding planning Edith prior to leaving.  Both where so great to work with. Both from being a bride and being a wedding planner. 

For the flowers, I had ordered my bouquet and Jorge’s boutonnière and they came out perfect! The key was that I sent in images of what I wanted and labelled it clearly for them.  As a wedding planner I can guide you more on those details.  I don’t want to get lost in this post so that will be for another time.


 
 

Our pre-wedding prep on the wedding day was pretty much perfect from a sports enthusiast’s point of view.  After the meeting and a light lunch, we went up to our large suite and watch the soccer games from the comfort of our terrance plunge pool on our deck! My husband was on cloud 9!  Really, it was a stress free day so why not?



Then came the primping.. After we both freshening up, and my husband got ready, I ask him to leave the suite so I could get ready and surprise him with my dress and hair.  Little did I know that instead of going to the lounge as planned, he stayed on the same floor to write out his vows.  This meant the wedding planner panicked and lost him! He forgot his flower and everyone started to worry and look for him.  I on the other hand got ready within in 30mins (new record) and was none the wiser.  Really, where could he go?  After 20 years, it was not like I was really worried.  (it was funny however to see the planner worry though. Been there, did that, done it).



















It all came together in the end.  Simple, sweet and full of love.  I found the walk to the Gazebo a little awkward because I had to walk around the pool deck, but the gazebo was lovely.  We didn’t ask for decorations, but they still put in a little bit of drape to make it special.  It really was that, special.  Every word we spoke where heart felt.  It meant the world to me that Jorge wrote his vows, and I spoke from my heart.  We actually made the wedding planner cry.  That is a huge compliment because they take care of how many weddings?  

For the dinner, the resort pulled out the stops without any extra charge.  We asked to simply book a reservation at one of the A la carte restaurants, but they took it one further.  They cleared the top floor of the seafood restaurant to give us a private sunset dinner.  We had a designated waiter, (Oliver) who was like a private butler for us all night.  I have never heard so many “pops” of opening sparkling wine for one table in my life! And I am wedding planner! 

During the dinner we where not sure if the weather would hold out.  It started to rain a little, but ended right at the point a big beautiful red moon came out. We could not have asked for a better night.  It was peaceful and relaxing.  It was easy to loose yourself in the romance. 

I would like to say thank you for following me on this journey.  I didn’t want to be too wordy, but I want to give you a little taste of the amazing experience Jorge and I had.  It was something him and I promised we would do for each other.  Even though we did not have a photographer (we had a point and shoot camera on a timer – yes that is sad).  We wanted to document the experience at least with a few pictures.  My apologies they are not what I would had loved them to be, but I treasure them none the less.

So salud to a happy life! I wish nothing less than happiness for you all!

- Jaime & Jorge